The Travel Tips series is one of my favorite in the Travel section of The Barbee Housewife.
I love passing on tips and reading other people’s tips for making traveling easier. We already have to deal with possible delayed flights, weather issues, and the stress of planning and packing for a trip, so I like to make the part I can control as easy as possible.
It is easy to overload yourself when it comes to your carry-on and you can barely lift your bag. That is NOT helpful and you are just creating more of a burden.
Strategically pack your carry-on for your essentials, so you have what you need in a bind, but not so much that you can’t find what you are looking for.
I’m going to go-through my essentials in clockwise order, starting with your bag.
- A bag. Choose one that is comfortable over your shoulder. I have had this Neverfull GM for years and I use it exclusively for traveling. It fits everything I need, it can be squished to fit in small spaces, and it is just a comfortable, reliable bag. I keep my wallet/passport in the large side pocket, zipped. There is no danger in this falling out and it is easy access for going through security and buying items in the airport. In the extra pouch I keep my boarding passes and 2 granola bars.
- Headphones. I like to sleep on the flight. Anyone else? Even if you don’t, it is really nice to put on a soft playlist to help drown out all of the noise on the airplane that could hinder you from enjoying yourself. If I am not sleeping (which is rare), I still put on my favorite Enya or soft music to listen to while reading my book.
- A Blanket. This is my favorite blanket. Shoutout to my sister-in-law who got me hooked on these Barefoot Dreams blankets. They are the coziest blanket of all time. I roll it up and stick it in my carry-on, it does take up a ton of space in my bag, but priorities. I love being able to cozy up and not be cold on the flight and it is wonderful for taking a nap.
- Jewelry Roll. I have heard so many horror stories from close friends about jewelry being taken from their suitcases while traveling. Most of my jewelry is very sentimental and I don’t like to take any chances. I pack only what I know I will be wearing in this jewelry roll that my sweet sister got for me and put it in my bag. It is with me at all times.
- Small Makeup Bag. I love my Tory Burch bag, I linked a similar one, because it seems my style has been discontinued. Mine has a zipper on each side. In one side I keep a tide pen, Neosporin, some bandaids, bobby pins, ponytail holder, chapstick, lip gloss, hand wipes, travel small toothbrush, comb, contact case, and refreshing clothes for my face. On the other side, I pack my makeup essentials, powder, eyeliner, concealer, etc. I like to freshen up when the plane starts it’s descent.
- Refillable Water Bottle. I bring it in empty and refill it at a water fountain to avoid high-costs for water in the airport and I am not using another plastic bottle. I also don’t have to wait for the flight attendant to come around when I am so thirsty in the air!
What are your carry-on essentials? Any I missed? Let me know!
Happy Traveling, The Barbee Housewife