Have you seen the Kate Spade line, Eat Cake For Breakfast? It’s basically my life motto. I am also pretty sure that this is the cake she is talking about.
It is spongey and delicious, with a slight tartness from the lemon zest and the top is basically blueberry jam. This is perfect for anytime of day, but especially delicious with a cup of coffee.
It is so easy to make, perfect for beginner bakers.
Make this cake to showcase your fresh summer blueberries, you won’t regret it.
- 1 cup of Cake Flour
- ¼ teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- ½ cup of Buttermilk
- Zest from ½ Lemon
- ½ cup of Butter, unsalted & softened
- ⅔ cup of Sugar
- ½ teaspoon of Vanilla
- 1 Egg White, large
- 1 pint of Blueberries, ~ 1½ cups
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9 inch round baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray, lining it with wax or parchment and spraying again.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix the buttermilk and lemon zest together, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer for ~3 minutes on high until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg white and mix until combined well.
- With the speed reduced to low, add ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add half of the buttermilk mixture, mix until combine and repeat with flour, buttermilk, and remaining flour.
- Make sure blueberries have no stems and place in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Pour the cake batter on top and spread to the edges.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is flat, golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean with just a few crumbs.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife