This dish is really genius, it is chicken, vegetables, and quinoa. Your typical healthy eating diet, but sometimes you just want a change. And this is it! It is still healthy but it is jazzed up with salsa, cheese, and delicious spices.
This reheats like a dream! It is just as good the next day, which makes it perfect for lunches or a busy weekend, when you just don’t have time to cook.
I will be making this again and again. I loved EVERYTHING about it, I know you will too.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 lb. of Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoons of Lime Juice, fresh
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of Cumin
- ½ teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Chile Powder
- For the Fajita Quinoa Bake:
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 cups of Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded (or ½ Sharp Cheddar, ½ Monterey Jack)
- 1½ cups of Salsa
- Optional Garnishes: Cilantro &/or Sliced Green Onions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray an iron skillet with non-stick spray.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes and toss with lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and Chile powder. Let sit while you prepare the rest.
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
- Cut the poblano pepper, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and onion into a medium dice. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and all the juices to a bowl.
- Add the vegetables to the skillet and cook for ~10 minutes until charred. Add the chicken and juices back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Put the cooked quinoa, chicken & vegetable mixture, salsa, and 1½ cups of the cheese in a large bowl and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. When combined, transfer to prepared skillet, top with remaining ½ cup of cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with green onion and cilantro, if desired.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife