I love Chicken Tortilla Soup and LOVE this recipe that I normally use.
In my recent bout of Spring cleaning, I cleaned my freezer out. I tossed some things and more importantly decided that some things needed to be used immediately, enter a delicious jar of THIS.
I have so many ideas and great recipes that are yet to be created, just living in my brain, with salsa verde. I just love it. It is perfect for a crowd, because it is less spicy than a chipotle salsa.
I was in a major time crunch and had to have something ready to host my book club and I knew this soup would be a winner, it was. I served it with cheese quesadillas and a delicious white wine spritzer with lime, that recipe is coming soon!
- 6 cups of Chicken Broth
- 2 cups of Salsa Verde
- 2 teaspoons of Cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Pepper
- 8 oz. of Cooked Chicken, rotisserie works great here!
- 1 cup of Black Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup of Corn, frozen or fresh
- 4 oz. of Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Optional Toppings: Sliced Radishes, Sliced Jalapeños, Cilantro, Limes, Tortilla Chips
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, combine the chicken broth, salsa verde, cumin, paprika, salt & pepper over medium heat. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, beans, and corn. Reduce the heat to low and let cook until heated through, another 5-10 minutes. You can keep the soup on low, stirring occasionally for 30-45 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, until melted, right before serving.
- Top with desired toppings and eat immediately!
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife