Welcome to Day #6 of #BrunchWeek! Today is the last day, until next year!
Sausage balls are a Southern favorite.
They are usually around at tailgates, holiday parties, and pretty much any potluck. Everyone has their own variation and they are gone FAST!
I was so excited to make a breakfast version and they did not disappoint. The maple-apple butter is the best dipping sauce for these, I added a lot of dijon mustard to keep it savory and the end result was AH-MAZING.
These little bites are the perfect savory item to go with all of the delicious sweets at brunch.
- For the Maple Apple Butter:
- 5 Apples, I used Lady Alice® Apples from Rainer Fruit, peeled, cored & cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup of Apple Juice or Cider
- ½ cup of Dixie Crystals Sugar
- ½ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of Cloves
- 1 tablespoon of Maple Syrup
- 3 tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
- For the Breakfast Sausage Balls:
- 1 lb. of Hot Breakfast Sausage
- ¼ cup of Parmesan Cheese, grated
- ¼ cup of Bread Crumbs
- 2 teaspoons of Sage, fresh & minced
- 1 Egg, large, beaten
- Place the apples, cider and ¼ cup of sugar into a dutch oven. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has evaporated, ~15 minutes. Use a high-power blender or an immersion blender and puree the apples, add back to the dutch oven. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and syrup. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thick and dark in color. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the sausage, parmesan cheese, ¼ cup of the bread crumbs, sage, and egg together.
- Form into 1 inch balls and roll in remaining ½ cup of breadcrumbs. Place each ball in a greased muffin cup.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip with a spoon, and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Combine ½ cup of the Maple Apple Butter with the mustard. Serve on the side for dipping.
The Barbee Housewife
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Fresh Citrus Smoothie from Gluten Free Crumbley
Mango Sorbet Bellini from The Redhead Baker
Rose Water Lemonade from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Sparkling Mojito Lime Rickies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Apple, Grape, and Pecan Chicken Salad from Love and Confections
Asparagus & Bacon Grilled Cheese from Sweet Beginnings
Breakfast Sausage Balls with Maple Apple Butter from The Barbee Housewife
Breakfast Egg Rolls from Palatable Pastime
Cheddar Croque Madame Waffles from Cooking with Carlee
Tater Tot Crusted Casserole with Eggs, Cheese, and Asparagus from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Nielsen-Massey, Rainier Fruit, and Michigan Asparagus for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.