I love eating salads throughout the week, but not real salads. I get burnt out on those, way too fast. I like salads that are mainly the toppings, like chopped salads, or like this.
You guys, I cannot stress the ease of this salad enough. It would be absolutely PERFECT to take to work for lunches. I would take 3 containers, one of the slaw mix, one of chicken, and one for the dressing and mix them all together, just so it tastes perfect every time.
If you don’t have sesame oil or rice vinegar, I am sure you could find a substitute, but I really recommend searching these ingredients out. They have a long shelf-stable life and really bring the flavors to this salad (and many other dishes!) You would be surprised how easy they are to find.
Sometimes I feel a little ridiculous sharing recipes that are this easy or with short-cuts, but in all reality, I just share my favorites. And this one was definitely a favorite!
- ⅓ cup of Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoons of Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 3 cups of Shredded Chicken, rotisserie works great here
- 3 cups of Shredded of Green & Red Cabbage & Carrots, aka Cole Slaw mix (toss the dressing)
- 4 Green Onions, sliced
- ¼ cup of Peanuts, dry-roasted
- 2 tablespoons of Sesame Seeds
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ cup of Chow Mein Noodles
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oils, vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce until the sugar has dissolved.
- Toss the chicken, shredded cabbages/carrots, green onions, peanuts, and sesame seeds together in a large bowl.
- Drizzle dressing on top and combine until mixed well. Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. Top with chow mien noodles.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife