I have blogged a recipe from Ashley Christensen’s cookbook, Poole’s, before. The Macaroni Au Gratin. And OMG, so good.
This recipe though…. It is an exact clone of the appetizer they serve at the restaurant. I took my mom one time when she was visiting and she had one bite and declared that it was the BEST pimiento cheese she has ever had; I have to agree. I was so excited to see this recipe in the cookbook.
This recipe is a little more in-depth than the others, but I had so much fun making it. You make your own pimientos and homemade mayonnaise, cider mayonnaise, in fact. You do need to make the pimientos and mayonnaise the day before, so plan for that.
- For the Pimientos:
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- For the Basic Cider Mayo:
- 1 Egg Yolk, from a large egg
- ½ teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1½ cups of Vegetable Oil
- For the Pimiento Cheese:
- 1 tablespoon of Grated Red Onion
- ½ tablespoon of Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon of Hot Sauce, ½ Tabasco & ½ Texas Pete
- ⅝ lb. of Aged Cheddar, grated
- 7 oz. of Sharp White Cheddar, grated
- Crostini, for serving
- Roast the red pepper over a flame, using your gas burner or broiler, rotate the pepper until the it is blistered on all sides. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 15 minute. Peel the skin off and remove the seeds and stem. Dice the roasted red pepper and place in a small bowl with the 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the egg yolk, salt, mustard, and ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar in a food processor. Puree until combined, drizzle in the vegetable oil until thick and emulsified. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- After 24 hours, combine the cider mayonnaise and peppers + their juices. Add the onion, pepper, salt & hot sauce.
- Place the shredded cheese in a large bowl and toss until well combined. Add the pepper + mayo mixture to the cheeses. Stir until combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving, will keep for 7 days.
- Serve on crostini.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife