I have talked before about the great, thriving food scene here in Raleigh and you all know we LOVE to travel, so that is where most of my ideas are born for The Barbee Housewife.
Some people want to meet athletes, movie stars, but let me meet a chef and/or try some of their food?! I am the happiest girl in the world. The skill and technique are so beautiful aesthetically and then the taste is spot on, perfect seasoning. It is such a fun experience.
Speaking of fun experiences, in my opinion, the best roof top in Raleigh is at Taverna Agora. They serve a version of this salad that I crave, all the time! I decided I had to recreate it at home and I am so glad I did.
This salad is best made about an hour before you want to eat it and left on the counter for the flavors to meld together. I do not like the flavor/texture of refrigerated tomatoes.
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice, fresh, ~1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- ¼ cup of Olive Oil
- ¼ cup of Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup of Kalamata Olives, pitted & halved
- 1 cup of Feta Cheese
- In a large bowl, place the garlic, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegar. Whisk until emulsified.
- Cut the tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, and cucumber into large bite-sized pieces. Place on top of the vinaigrette. Toss in the olives and feta and mix until the salad is mixed well and coated in the vinaigrette.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife