Any time we go to a restaurant and mussels is on the menu as an appetizer, you can bet I will order it. We have a favorite Italian restaurant here and they only have so many orders a day, I always ask them to save me an order, when I am making the reservation. I am serious about these mussels.
So now, when I say, these are the best mussels I have ever had, even I am shocked. These were SO easy. This is the ultimate dinner party food. It looks impressive, tastes great, and does not take a lot of time.
These mussels are very spicy, but it is my favorite part of the recipe. If you are worried about spice, eliminate the sliced pepper.
- 4 lbs. of Mussels
- ⅓ cup of All-Purpose Flour, heaping
- 4 quarts of Water
- 2 tablespoons of Butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 6 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 cup of White Wine
- ⅓ cup of Parsley, fresh & chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Thyme, fresh & stems removed
- 1 Serrano or Jalapeno Pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Red Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of Chives, chopped
- 2 Lemons
- 18 oz. of Linguine
- First, scrub your mussels with a wire brush. Place in a colander and rinse with cold water, removing any that are opened. Place flour and water in a large pot/bowl, whisk together and add mussels. Let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse mussels in a colander with cold water again.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. When melted, add the shallots, cook until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan, deglazing it. Add the parsley, thyme, jalapeño, salt, and peppers. Bring to a boil and then add the mussels. Cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking the pot to make sure none are sticking to the bottom.
- While the mussels are cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions. Strain pasta and place in a large bowl or individual bowls.
- Remove lid from mussels after 10 minutes and add chives and squeeze both lemons on top of the mussels. Stir well and serve immediately over pasta.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife