Everyone knows you break out your most comfortable pants for the whole day on Thanksgiving. It is a day surrounded by food and lots of it.
This salad is so delicious and you don’t have to any guilt about loading an extra scoop onto your plate.
This salad is perfect for any vegetarians (or vegans!) coming to celebrate with you.
- 1½ lbs. of Sweet Potatoes, ~2 medium, peeled & cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb. of Parsnips, ~3, peeled & cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Red Onion, small, diced
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt
- 1 cup of Quinoa, rinsed in cool water & drained
- ¼ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons of fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Sage, finely chopped
- 1 small Honeycrisp Apple, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons of roasted Pepitas
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes, parsnips, and red onion on a baking sheet pan lined with a silpat mat or parchment paper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Roast for 15 minutes, toss and then roast for 10 more minutes or under the veggies are golden and tender.
- While the vegetables are roasted, prepare the quinoa. Boil 2 cups of of water and ½ teaspoon of salt in a saucepan. When boiling, whisk in the quinoa and cinnamon. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool, still covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, and ½ teaspoon of salt in a jar with a lid, shake to emulsify.
- Toss the vegetables, quinoa, thyme, sage, and dressing together in a large bowl. Top with apples and pepitas just before serving.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife