Good old fashioned french onion dip served with wavy potato chips. I am pretty sure everyone has been served this at a football gathering before.
This is a homemade version and I could not get enough. Seriously.
It was a cinch to make and my 1st recipe that I made live on snapchat! Follow me: jcbarbee to see more recipes and sneak-peaks into my life!
I took this dip to ladies game night and we played Codenames, you guys this game was SO MUCH FUN. I had so many people asking me for the recipe for this dip, so I was so happy I had taken pictures of it before it got devoured.
- 2 Onions, Vidalia if they are in season
- 4 tablespoons of Butter, unsalted
- ¼ cup of Vegetable Oil
- ¼ teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 4 oz. of Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup of Sour Cream
- ½ cup of Mayonnaise
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into ⅛ inch thick half-moon slices.
- Heat the butter and oil in a saute pan over medium heat. When melted, add the onions, cayenne, and salt & pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and sauté for 20 more minutes until brown and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if need.
- Serve warm with potato chips.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife