Welcome to Day #2 of #BrunchWeek. I could not wait to share these lemon sticky buns. They are so, so perfect for brunch. They are tart from the lemon, sweet, and the perfect accompaniment to crisp bacon.
Jump over here if you missed my first post explaining #BrunchWeek and enter the raffle for some amazing prizes while you are at it!
I used plenty of fresh lemon juice and I experimented with substituting zest for Nielsen-Massey Lemon Extract. The extract worked perfectly and I will be using that trick more often. It gives a great lemon flavor, and I don’t have to worry about zesting or if I have fresh lemons!
I always have a ton of questions about which brands I like best. I use Dixie Crystals sugar. I use the powdered sugar and granulated sugar. It is an extremely consistent product and never disappoints.
I use Red Star Yeast in this recipe. It is instant, so there is no waiting time, which I am a big, big fan of. If you are someone who is intimidated by yeast (I was for many years), don’t be! Just try it, and trust me. You won’t regret it.
- For the Dough:
- ¾ cup of Buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons of Butter, unsalted, melted & cooled
- 3 Eggs, large
- 4½ cups-6 cups of Flour, all-purpose
- ½ tablespoon of Lemon Extract
- ¼ cup of Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons of Red Star Instant Yeast, 1 package
- 1¼ teaspoons of Salt
- For the Filling:
- 1 cup of Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Zest
- ⅛ teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice, fresh squeezed
- 6 tablespoons of Butter, softened
- For the Glaze:
- 4 oz. of Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 1 cup of Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Zest
- Warm your buttermilk in the microwave for 1 minute on 50% power; whisk with the cooled butter. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with a dough hook attached (or a bowl and wooden spoon) add 4½ cups of flour, lemon extract, sugar, yeast, and salt. Start the mixer on low speed and add the buttermilk mixture and the eggs. Increase the speed to medium speed and add additional flour ½ cup at a time, until the dough is sticky enough to leave slight residue on your hands, but is pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Place the dough in a greased large bowl and cover with a towel. Put in a dry spot to let double in size, about 1.5 hours.
- Coat a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Make the filling for the rolls, pulse the sugar and lemon zest in a food processor until completely combined. Stir in nutmeg and lemon juice.
- After dough has risen, sprinkle the counter lightly with flour. Use a rolling pin and roll the dough to a 16x12 inch rectangle. Rub the softened butter all over the dough. Sprinkle with the lemon sugar filling. Roll up tight and slice into 12 equal pieces. Place in the baking dish, cover with towel, and let rise for 1.5 hours.
- Bake for 20-25 at 350 degrees minutes until golden brown.
- While they are baking, beat the cream cheese and lemon juice together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar on low speed, once combined, add the lemon juice. Add more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Glaze sticky buns when they come out of the oven.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife Check out what the other #BrunchWeek Bloggers made today!
- Bluberry Mint Julep by The Suburban Soapbox
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Lemon-Glazed Banana and Candied Ginger Scones by The Texan New Yorker
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins by Feeding Big and more
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts by The Chef Next Door
- Braided Pepperoni Pizza Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- French Toast with Apple Compote and Caramel Syrup by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Sticky Buns by The Barbee Housewife
- Same Day Mock Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple and Caramelized Onion Tart by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Tropical Smoothie by Gluten Free Crumbley
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Breakfast Burger by Cooking In Stilettos
- Fiddlehead, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Quiche by Palatable Pastime
- Poached Eggs on Asparagus Bundled with Prosciutto on Cheesy Polenta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Baked Seafood Stuffed Avocados by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Fried Chicken Biscuits and Gravy Sandwich by From Gate to Plate
- Kielbasa Welsh Rarebit by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pulled Pork Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sausage and Fried Apples by Making Miracles
- Brie and Raspberry Tarts by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Lemon Meringue Angel Food Cake by Love & Confections
- Lemon Zucchini Bread by Sweet Beginnings
- Orange Cheesecake With Caramel Rum Sauce by Wholistic Woman
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Vidalia Onion Committee, Sage Fruits, Nielsen-Massey, KitchenIQ, and Le Creuset for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.