What do you eat for lunch?
Chicken salad is my jam. I love making it once and eating it all throughout the week for lunch. There are countless variations of it, semi-healthy (depending on the recipe), and so easy (when it is already prepared.)
This cilantro-jalapeno one has been in heavy rotation switching spots with this southwest version and strawberry chicken salad is about to be kicked into high gear, however, this one. OMG. I mean it is fried chicken, so it isn’t the healthiest, but it is so good for a splurge.
It has plenty of kick from whole grain mustard and cayenne, crunch from the celery and crispy chicken skin. It is amazing on small hawaiian rolls, you can thank me later.
- ¾ cup of Mayonnaise
- ½ cup of Buttermilk
- ¼ cup of Whole Grain Mustard
- 1½ teaspoons of dried Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of Cayenne
- Juice from ½ of a Lemon
- 4 cups of Fried Chicken, cold, ~8 pieces mixed
- 3 stalks of Celery, chopped
- 3 Green Onions, chopped
- ¼ cup of fresh Parsley, chopped
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- Rolls for serving, if desired
- Whisk together in a large bowl the mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, italian seasoning, cayenne, and lemon juice.
- Add the chicken, celery, onions, and parsley. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, covered.
- Serve next to fresh spring greens or on a hawaiian roll.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife