Open your refrigerator, what do you see? Eggs? Leftover vegetables in the crisper? Look on the counter, a few slices of day old bread? Usually in my mind, this equals nothing to eat. Not anymore, these are the ingredients for this delicious overnight breakfast bake (that I eat for dinner, sometimes.)
This recipe is highly adaptable, highly delicious, and so easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic, minced
- 1 cup of Spinach
- 2 cups of Bell Peppers, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup of Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of Broccoli Florets
- ½ of a Red Onion, diced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Red Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- 10 Eggs
- ½ cup of Milk
- ½ cup of Cheddar or Goat Cheese
- 4 English Muffins, cut into bite sized pieces
- Optional: Hot Sauce, Sour Cream, Cilantro, Avocado for topping
- Other variations:
- *If you want to add meat, take away 1 total cup of vegetables from recipe above and add ¾ lb. cooked bacon, browned sausage, ham, etc.
- Spinach, Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, Mozzarella Cheese, Prosciutto
- Bell Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Pepper Jack Cheese, Chorizo
- First, heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the vegetables, a sprinkle of salt, pepper, red pepper, and oregano. Saute for 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and milk and half of the cheese.
- Now, prepare an 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread all of the english muffin cubes on the bottom, pour half of the egg mixture on top, layer all of the vegetables, and then the rest of the egg mixture, finish with the remaining cheese.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator when ready to cook and let come to room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cook for 40-45 minutes. The edges will be browned and a toothpick with come out clean from the center.
- Add additional toppings, if desired (& highly recommended!)
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife