I have told you guys how smitten with farro before, here, but it is time to do it again. It is my favorite grain and it is inching up to be my favorite carb. It is really easy to make, you put it in a pot, boil water and then it simmers for 20 minutes with the pot covered. I am working on some new recipes to incorporate it into our meal-plan more often.
This meal is amazing. Amazing. I love mushrooms, so I knew this would be good, I just wasn’t prepared for how delicious it was going to be. It has lots of cheese to hold the farro and mushrooms together, and fresh rosemary flavors. It is earthy, warm, cheesy and the perfect meatless meal.
- ½ cup of Farro
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 12 oz. Mushrooms, fresh & sliced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of Marsala Wine
- 2 tablespoons of Butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons Flour, all-purpose
- 1½ cups of Broth, chicken or vegetable
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary, fresh
- ½ cup of Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- 4 oz. of Mozzarella Cheese, cut into cubes
- First, cook the farro, according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While that is cooking, heat olive oil in a oven safe pan. Add mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. When the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, add the marsala wine and scrape the bottom to get the browned bits. Add the butter and stir to melt. When butter has melted, add the flour, and stir for one minute. Add the broth, ¼ cup at a time, stirring into the mixture and letting it thicken up, before adding the next. When all of the broth has been added, add the rosemary sprigs and put pan on low. Simmer for 2 minutes, until the sauce is smooth and velvety. Remove the pan from heat, stir in the cheeses.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is thoroughly melted and edges are bubbly and brown. Discard the rosemary and serve the farro bake immediately.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife