Today is my birthday. Woo-hoo! I decided to share one of my very, very, favorite meals from this summer today.
I have a new obsession with farro. If you don’t know about it, here are some fun facts.
It rhymes with tomorrow.
It is a healthy grain and has more fiber than brown rice.
And, it’s delicious!
This salad is amazing right when you prepare it and the leftovers are great for lunches. It is chocked full of fresh herbs and delicious grilled chicken and grilled vegetables. I love to get my vegetables really charred. You drizzle a light and tangy lemon vinaigrette over the salad and then revel in the perfection of what you have just created.
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 2 teaspoons of Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons of White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- ¼ teaspoon of Black Pepper
- ½ cup of Oil
- For the Salad:
- 4 Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup of Farro, uncooked
- 2¼ teaspoons of Salt, divided
- 2 cloves of Garlic, peeled
- ¾ teaspoons of Pepper, divided
- ½ Red Onion, cut into wedges
- 10 Sweet Mini Peppers, halved and seeded
- 1½ teaspoons of Olive Oil
- ½ cup of Parsley Leaves, flat-leaf, loosely packed
- ⅓ cup of Basil Leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon of Thyme, fresh
- First, combine the first 8 ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette, then while whisking, slowly pour in the oil until it is combined well.
- Now, place the chicken in a ziplock bag with ¼ cup of the lemon vinaigrette. Chill for 30 minutes. Reserve and chill the rest of the vinaigrette.
- While the chicken is marinating, make the farro. Cook the farro according to package directions, adding 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 cloves of garlic, before bringing to a boil. Drain and rinse farro, discard garlic, and transfer farro to a large bowl.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the onions and peppers, drizzle with olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Place the vegetables in a grill basket.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade; sprinkle the chicken with ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Place the grill basket in the grill and cook the vegetables for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grill the chicken, alongside the vegetables, for 4-5 minutes per side, remove from grill and place on a plate, then cover with foil. Set aside to rest. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and cover with foil.
- Coarsley chop the chicken and vegetables, toss with the farro, herbs, and ¼ cup of lemon vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the remaining lemon vinaigrette on the side.