The seasons are changing and so is the produce. I am so excited. I love asparagus, artichokes, strawberries, oh and did I say asparagus? The asparagus at our grocery store was not looking completely up to par yet, so I bought one last bag of brussels sprouts. I am so happy I did.
This salad is great and the best part? It is hearty enough to be eaten all week long, with the dressing on it. I think it even gets better. It took a little prep work, but I never regretted it one second. It has so many great things in it, dried cherries and smoked gouda being at the top of that list.
However, I am going to go ahead and break it to you, this salad is a million times easier to make if you have a food processor. Attach your shredder, shred all of the ingredients, whisk the marinade together and mix. So. Easy. Otherwise, I would recommend using a cheese grater for shredding the shallot, cheese, and apple. And a really sharp knife for the brussels sprouts.
This is a great side dish or would be a perfect under grilled chicken. I halved this recipe and it still made plenty, enough for 4 people. Feel free to double it, especially if you plan on using it as a full meal.
- 1 lb. of Brussels Sprouts, raw
- 1.5 tablespoon of Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- ½ of a Shallot, small
- 1 clove of Garlic
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup of Gouda, aged, shredded
- ½ of a Granny Smith Apple, peeled and cored, shredded
- ¼ cup of Dried Cherries, scant, roughly chopped
- Trim the ends of each brussels sprout off with a knife, then shred (either with a food processor and shredded attachment or with a knife.)
- In a very large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. After that is combined, whisk while pouring in the olive oil, until combined. Toss the brussels sprouts in and stir to coat. Let sit at room temperature and marinade for 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Fold in the gouda, apple, and cherries. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve.
The Barbee Housewife