Spring is here! I am loving the warm weather and also the April showers, that I know will bring May flowers! We have been enjoying long walks with the dogs and one of my favorite activities, the farmer’s market. I have patiently been stalking the market for new produce. I love the taste-testing booths, to see which produce is the best. I was pleasantly shocked at how delicious these strawberries were. They were so sweet, just like the summer strawberries, nothing like the strawberries I had been purchasing at the grocery store. They have been growing in a tunnel all winter, about an hour away from my house. What do I do? What any normal person would do, bought 4 pints of strawberries! Keep in mind, my husband does not like strawberries.
I started using them for everything, I also had a cocktail party on the horizon, so I knew I was going to have a concoction with strawberries. I have made homemade peach lemonade before for a cocktail party and it works out perfectly. It acts as a non-alcoholic drink and also as a mixer for vodka/rum drinks. This strawberry lemonade did not disappoint and was just as delicious. It is the perfect drink or the perfect way to use up an extra pint of strawberries, when you get a little crazy at the farmer’s market. Please tell me I am not the only one that does that!
- For the Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 2 cups of Water
- For the Strawberry Puree:
- 1 pint of Strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup of Cold Water
- For the Lemonade:
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 cup of Lemon Juice
- 1 cup of Cold Water
- Additional Garnishes: Strawberries, Lemon slices
- First, make the simple syrup. Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil, stirring occasionally until all of the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- While the simple syrup is cooling, place the strawberries and water in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Now, in a pitcher, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, and water. Stir in the simple syrup and strawberry puree. Stir well and taste. Add more water to suit your taste, I add 2 cups of extra water.
- Refrigerate to chill through or serve over ice with strawberry and lemon slices.
Happy Cooking, The Barbee Housewife